Pack up your campervan hire New Zealand and don’t hesitate to visit Whanganui. There are many different places to visit in New Zealand, but Whanganui happens to be a very special place and one that you don’t want to miss out on.
Located on North Island, this area is very popular for the natural environment and beautiful places in the region, especially because of the Awa River, which is the second largest one in the country. As you road trip around North Island in your campervan hire New Zealand, make sure that you include this area on your itinerary.
As a location near water, you can only imagine how many fun activities are to be had in the area. It’s also located in a very beautiful region, so there are plenty of beautiful locations to admire. The following experiences are just a few of the things you should do while in the Whanganui area in New Zealand:
- Visit Whanganui National Park. As mentioned before, the Whanganui region is full of natural locations and is one of the most beautiful areas in New Zealand. One destination that you absolutely must visit is the Whanganui National Park. There, you’ll find an abundance of trails for you to explore, through forests and hills and valleys. It’s a destination that is rich in history for the Maori people and is an important location in the country for many reasons. You can also go mountain biking or boating on the river. There’s opportunity for camping and hunting, as well. You can even do kayaking or canoeing on the river, and a lot of fishing enthusiasts enjoy catching anything from brown trout to rainbow trout in the river. You’ll also find some unique sites like settler’s homes and even the Bridge to Nowhere.
- Go jet boating on the river. If you like a bit of adventure and fun while also visiting unique locations, consider going on a jet boat tour to the Bridge to Nowhere in the Whanganui National Park. Jet boats are a bit more exciting than your regular speed boat, so make sure that you’re prepared for the excitement that is waiting for you on a jet boat ride to the Bridge to Nowhere. There are also many other spots that you can visit on a jet boat tour, so research your favorite destinations and then book a tour.
- Check out Tongariro National Park. Undoubtedly one of the most important locations in New Zealand, Tongariro National Park will always be a place that we suggest that you visit. As a volcanic park with amazing Maori history, we guarantee that it will be an experience that you won’t soon forget. It’s the oldest national park in the country and possibly the most iconic one. From the slopes of Mount Ruapehu to the alpine lakes and the abundance of hiking opportunities, if you love the great outdoors, you won’t want to miss out on enjoying Tongariro National Park.
- Climb the Durie Hill Memorial Tower. With so many majestic places to visit in the area, the Durie Hill Memorial Tower may not be much at first glance. But, it’s actually a great monument to the soldiers who died in WW1. It’s also where you can catch a beautiful view of the city from above. So, while you’re in the city, go ahead and take some time to climb the tower and make sure that you capture pictures of the town below.
- Hang out at the Kai Iwi Beach. A great destination for singles and families alike, Kai Iwi Beach is a must-visit beach when you’re in the Whanganui area. From a barbeque area to restrooms, and even a children’s playground, it’s a great spot to visit for a day trip from the city, where you can enjoy the black sand beach and crystal clear waters during your visit to Whanganui. Just be aware that the ocean has a couple of potential danger zones and rough currents, so you want to be sure to pay attention to the flags and potential hazards. The good thing is that this beach is patrolled.
If you’re looking for a must-see destination in New Zealand, don’t hesitate to visit Whanganui. In this region, you’ll find everything from the most iconic national parks in the country to beautiful beaches and of course, a lot of Maori history to learn about.
As you start to plan your trip in a campervan hire New Zealand, make sure to prepare for plenty of time in the great outdoors, as this is undoubtedly a highlight of visiting Whanganui. You can enjoy staying in any campsite near the best national parks or park your vehicle in the city. Wherever you end up staying, make sure that you don’t miss out on the must-see places mentioned above. We promise that you won’t regret it.